Tuesday 12 July 2016

Run Fat Lass! Run...

Tuesday 12th July 2016

I have to laugh, I wanted to call this blog something punny and amusing so I googled "fat lass running" for some inspiration.  I was quite taken aback by some of the images that came up!  Clearly I am not the first fat lass to ever don trainers and do a bit of jogging, and it's great to see that so many other women have taken up a challenge to get outdoors and achieve something.  

The choice to run a 5km race is part of my 12 Challenges for 2016, and to raise money for a charity whilst improving my fitness, and helping achieve my other goals is something I am keen to do.

There are lots of inspirational meme's and quotes about running, and the #thisgirlcan pages are full of tips and motivation, so if you see me huffing and puffing my way round the streets of Hemel and beyond in the next few weeks it'll explain what I'm doing anyway.  Though I think my neighbours are used to seeing me out in my black and pink trainers stomping the km's in for my 500km challenge.



I make no apology for being a fat lass, that's my "curse to bear".  I did enjoy hearing a recent conversation where someone said, "she's got a pretty face, but she's not my type".  I would reiterate that any decision or choice to lose weight comes from my personal drive, not in response to any comments or situations like that.  #prettyforafatlass 

I try not to think about the white van men who think it's appropriate to beep or holler at those of who are not natural athletes as we pound the pavement on our personal journeys.  I could understand if they were beeping me because I was sitting on my sofa eating Peanut Butter Cup Ben and Jerrys and watching reality TV!  A friend say maybe they're just beeps of encouragement to keep going and not give in, but I suspect people are not always that kind.

My Pretty Muddy Race for Life is on the 3rd September, a mere 53 days away, which sounds a lot, but in reality is nothing.  The most I've managed to "run" consecutively for at the moment is 1km of the 5km and I haven't even advertised my fundraising page (shameless plug coming up) so I'm going to include the link here and hope that maybe just a few of my lovely readers will support me in achieving my goal, and in raising some money for research into the shitty disease that robs so many of us of the people we love.

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/liniforrest

I have had my first sponsor, I'm not sure who, but if it's one of you I thank you for your support and belief that I'll do what I set my mind to.  I'm sure my mind can overcome the inevitable red cheeks, burning lungs and achey legs this challenge will create.

A huge shout out to Stacey who will be there racing with me to make sure I drag my arse round the course, and she'll no doubt push me in her lovely style, which I suspect in her head is "come the fuck on Lini", but said in a much kinder tone with a calculating smile, (she's probably calculating how much more she can make me do before she kills me...)

53 days... Oh fuck... 

No comments:

Post a Comment