Monday 16 January 2017

An open letter to...



Monday 16th January 2016

"Be not alarmed, madam, on receiving this letter...  You must, therefore, pardon the freedom with which I demand your attention; your feelings, I know, will bestow it unwillingly, but I demand it of your justice." Jane Austen - Pride and Prejudice

As the end of my 12 month blogging adventure draws near, I find myself looking at how far I have come, and lately I have been thinking about how it all started.  I had always said that if I was ever cheated on, I would chop his balls off and feed them to him.  Of course, I never thought I’d be in the position where I would have to choose between taking the high road, and preparing such a rare dining delicacy, but that’s exactly where I found myself last year.  I still don’t have all the answers I want, but I’m more accepting now of the fact that I don’t think I’ll ever get them.  I have fully accepted that the vows I took are now worthless and the marriage I gave my life and soul to has ended.

What I realise now is that I have not said anything directly to her, the other woman.  I have alluded to a general feeling of bitterness, after all she invited herself into a marriage that was designed for two and thought nothing of her actions.  Maybe if she knew, or had a small iota about what I’ve been through, she might have a dawning realisation and change her ways, but given the way she has behaved I hold no small hope for that.

Believe me, I am fully versed in the feelings of wanting to lash out at her, but I also know that it comes from a place of pain and deep insecurity, and I am not that person anymore. I have discovered to my surprise, I was never that person. I am strong and I know my worth. I know that what happened was never about me and the qualities I lack, it was about my husband and the qualities he lacked, and a woman who was so insecure that she went for a married man. 

If I had followed through and served up a dish of bollock a l’orange, I would be validating every single lie that they ever told themselves about how I somehow deserved to be a casualty of their deceit.

So all I have left to say is what follows, an open letter to her, and whether she reads this or not I want to say it because we often never say the things we want to or need to say.

Xxxxx,

I will not call you names, yet I will not wish you well. 

Some time ago you made a choice, you decided that you wanted something, and instead of asking for it, you took it.  You were happy to be hidden and lied about, you sat silently when you could have stood up and been counted.  In the beginning I was so angry I couldn’t even see straight, but then I tried to find a way to understand it.  Had you just fallen so hard in love that it didn’t matter that you were in the shadows and I was in the light?  Had it gone on so long you couldn’t see a way out?  Had he lied and told you that I was a nightmare, whilst all the time telling me he loved me to the moon and back forever? 

Whatever it was, when it was all uncovered and he chose me, was that your comeuppance?  Did you feel used, heartbroken, like you’d lost a part of you?  Then I know something of that feeling, we have a shared pain.  Had it ended there, maybe I could look at you without contempt.  But it didn’t.  He came back to you behind my back, and instead of saying, “I want to be the only one, I won’t do this again, I have too much respect for myself”, you simply resumed your time in the shadows.  You put me through it all again.  You knew the pain you’d caused me once, you’d felt your own pain, and yet you chose to try and destroy me once more.

All the things I realise that were wrong with the relationship I was in are the exact way in which your relationship started, lies, anger and deceit.  He didn’t even tell me, I had to find out again.  He didn’t leave me, there was just no option for us to stay together.

People say what happened is “for the best”, but don’t kid yourself that you’ve done me a favour.  I’ve done me the favours.  I chose to not let what you both did destroy me.  I chose my new path.  You will always live knowing that your union was born out of the utmost betrayal that even the legal system gives it its own category.

What I understand now is that real love will never ask you to hide, it will show you off proudly from the moment you encounter it.  Real love will never make you jealous of other women in such a way that you have to try and take what they have, and fight to protect what you believe is yours. 

One night when you’re sitting alone with your thoughts, and he’s being distant and moody, and he’s hiding his phone from you, and there are so many questions about his behaviour that you cannot answer, remember that when you assumed your full time role in his life, you created a vacancy for someone from the shadows to fill, and like you they probably did without a thought or care for your feelings. 

In that moment, I wonder if I will come to your mind, and you will realise the truth of Karma.


So that is my piece said, said on the bluest most depressing Monday of the year so I hear.  And yet I feel nothing but calm.

Until next time. x 

No comments:

Post a Comment